header/navigation

LLLHeader2
Lavnav2_v4

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Buckwheat Blueberry Pancakes = Breakfast Superfood

Some hobbies seem seasonal for me. So it's been super quiet around here, but my girls from my stitch and bitch group have been asking about my blog. So I'm going to try to get back in the saddle with it.

Particularly, someone asked to see pictures of my garden. I have a chocolate wild raspberry pie in the oven right now, so as soon as that's out I'll head outside to take photos. Until then, I have a buckwheat blueberry pancake recipe for you. Yay!

A few weeks ago I spotted soba noodles in the grocery store and realized soba noodles are a great summer dish because they're served cold. Then I learned that buckwheat (which is what soba noodles are made of) is super healthy for you. So now I'm on a buckwheat bender.


I found this recipe on Mayo Clinic (figured I couldn't go wrong there). And added some blueberries for extra anti-oxidant boost. Ugh, I'm so healthy I annoy myself sometimes. Completely different from me in highschool or college where I ate Poptarts and Oreos every day. I do miss them.

Anyway, this batter is fun because it looks like wet sand when you're mixing it! But they came out really tasty. I usually use honey on my pancakes, which makes them extra tasty and is also really good for you!

Buckwheat Blueberry Pancakes
Adapted from MayoClinic (head over there for nutritional information)

2 egg whites (substitute 1/2 cup applesauce and make it vegan!)
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/2 cup almond milk
1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup water
Fresh blueberries
  1. Preheat griddle or pan.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg whites, canola oil and milk.
  3. In another bowl, combine the flours, baking powder and sugar. 
  4. Add the egg white mixture and the water and stir until slightly moistened.
  5. Drop 1/3 cups of batter into pan.
  6. Drop blueberries on to each pancake as it cooks.
  7. Cook about two minutes on each side.
When ever we make pancakes I store them in tupperware with wax paper in between to reheat and eat all week. Or, I store them in plastic bags with wax paper in between and freeze them. You can heat them up in the toaster oven or microwave.




No comments:

Post a Comment